Unite Us Privacy Notice
Last Updated: June 15, 2020
THIS PRIVACY NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW YOUR INFORMATION MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN ACCESS THIS INFORMATION.
About Unite Us and the Network
Unite Us is a technology platform that connects individuals with health and social services such as housing, food, legal aid, transportation, employment, job training and disaster relief across a network of organizations that we call the Network. Unite Us works together with our “Network Participants” that include health care providers, health plans, health information exchanges, social service providers and state and local government entities across the country to ensure that a person’s health care and social care are coordinated into one seamless journey.
What information is collected on the Network and where do we get it?
Information about you may come to us directly through a care coordinator or social worker helping you seek assistance or through a website request form. Information about you may also be disclosed to us by your service providers if they are a member of our Network or by your health plan in the course of trying to get you access to services that they may not directly provide. This information will also be shared within our organization and with other Network Participants to provide you with services. In some situations, we may receive protected health information from a Network Participant, which we may use and disclose only as permitted or required by applicable law. We may also receive personal information about you from third-party analytics providers. Regardless of the source of information, Unite Us and its Network Participants are committed to safeguarding your personal information from unlawful use and disclosure.
To address your needs and connect you to our Network Participants, Unite Us may collect and keep a record of information about you. This information may include your name, social security number, telephone number, address and email, age, gender, nationality, ethnicity, physical and mental health condition, health insurance and care team, finances and employment, housing needs, contact information for your family members and caregivers, military background, information about the community programs you have been or are currently enrolled in, and other information that may be required to determine if you are eligible for government benefits, tax credits, income/debt assistance, insurance coverage, housing assistance and other programs and services offered by our Network Participants.
Some of the information we collect may be considered personal information under federal and/or state privacy laws. Unite Us limits who can access your information and takes reasonable steps to prevent third parties from accessing your information inappropriately. Our technology allows us to track the source of the information, who accessed your information, if any disclosures have been made and control what information is shared within the Network.
How will Unite Us use and disclose your information?
Unite Us may disclose personal information about you as permitted by you or as permitted or required under applicable laws. The following list describes examples of situations where your information may be used and disclosed to individuals outside our organization:
- To Contact You, a Family Member or Caregiver: When your information is entered into our web-based platform, you will be asked to provide contact information for yourself and any other persons involved in your care. If you do so, you give us permission to use that information to contact you and the individuals you have identified and to provide services to you. We may use the information to communicate necessary information about your appointments, to update you on your care or care management options, programs and benefits you or your family may be eligible for, or to connect you with any of our Network Participants and to follow up with our Network Participants about services you have received or programs you have enrolled in.
- Referral for Treatment, Care Coordination, Case Management: Unite Us may gather, use and disclose your personal information to Network Participants to facilitate the delivery of health and social care, care coordination, case management, the determination of eligibility for governmental or other private program benefits or for other purposes permitted by you or required by law. Our referral network providers may include case managers, care navigators, doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals, public health agencies and officials, insurers, social workers, housing officials, and other professionals that provide or coordinate health and social care, mental health or behavioral health treatment, housing and emergency shelter, transportation, education, food and financial assistance among other services. Different departments within our organization may also share personal information about you in order to coordinate the referral of services you need to our Network Participants.
- For Payment or Qualification for Government Benefits: Unite Us and Network Participants may disclose your personal information to insurance or managed care companies, government agencies, utility companies and other providers to assist in the payment of your bills, reduce debt or tax liability or to qualify you for government benefits or other programs.
- For Business Operations: Unite Us may use and disclose your personal information for our business operations. For example, Unite Us and Network Participants may use personal information to evaluate the performance of our platform and the Network. Unite Us may use your information for our business planning and program development, and to investigate complaints. Additionally, Unite Us may disclose your personal information to our subcontractors, and “business associates” when they perform services that may require the use of your personal information, such as technology, accounting, auditing, legal, and consulting services. Our business associates will be required to keep your personal information confidential and comply with all applicable laws.
- Marketing: Subject to applicable law, Unite Us may contact you to give you information about products, services or programs related to your treatment, case management, care coordination or other healthcare, social, and financial needs. Unite Us will not use or disclose your personal information for marketing purposes without your written authorization.
- Disclosures Required by Law: Unite Us may use or disclose your personal information when required or permitted to do so by applicable law. The following are examples of some of the situations where we may be required to use or disclosure information about you without your consent.
- Regulatory Oversight Activities: Unite Us may disclose your information to a regulatory agency for activities authorized by law.
- Lawsuits and Other Legal Proceedings: We may disclose your personal information in the course of a judicial or administrative proceeding or in response to an order of a court or administrative tribunal, a subpoena, a discovery request, or other lawful process.
- Military: If you are a member of the armed forces, we may use and disclose personal information as required by military command authorities, the Department of Veterans Affairs, or other authorized federal officials.
42 CFR Part 2 Compliance: Unite Us takes additional precautions, including prohibitions on redisclosure, for those referrals and services that are subject to 42 CFR Part 2 and deemed sensitive.
Privacy and Security of Information: Unite Us complies with applicable law to maintain the privacy and security of personal information. Although no system is completely secure from unauthorized access, we maintain administrative, technical and physical controls to reasonably safeguard your information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure.
We maintain a website to provide general information about our services to the public. We collect personal and other information about users over time and across different websites and devices when you use our website. For example, we may collect your name, email address, phone number, the name of your company and the state or region where you reside when you request a demo of our software, request to receive our newsletters or blog updates, fill out a “Contact Us” form, contact us by email or phone, apply for a position at Unite Us, or provide us feedback. We also have third parties that collect personal information this way. We, or our vendors, use several common online tracking tools to collect this information. These may include browser and flash cookies, as well as web beacons and similar technologies. Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you inform websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. These browser features are not uniform, so we are not currently set up to respond to those signals.
Notice to California Residents
This section of our privacy notice applies only to California residents and describes additional rights available to such residents. These rights do not apply to personal information covered by HIPAA or the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act, publicly available information from government records, de-identified or aggregated information, or personal information covered by certain other privacy laws. We do not sell personal information as the term “sale” is defined under the California Consumer Protection Act.
As outlined in our privacy notice, you have the right to request deletion of personal information from our records, subject to applicable law; the right to request information collected about you in the prior twelve months; and the right to request information about the sale or disclosure of your personal information. We reserve the right to request additional information from you to verify your identity in connection with any such request. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
Requests: Please submit all requests, complaints, concerns or requests for a copy of this notice in writing to our Director of Compliance at email@example.com or via our toll-free number at (844) 786-4838.
Changes to this Notice: Unite Us reserve the right to change this notice at any time, which changes shall be available on the Unite Us website. Unite Us reserves the right to make the revised or changed notice effective for the personal information we already have about you as well as any personal information we receive about you in the future.
Notice to Website Users Located Outside the U.S.: Unite Us operates in accordance with the laws of the U.S. When you access our website from outside the U.S., we may transfer the personal information that we collect from you to a location outside of your jurisdiction, including the U.S. The data protection laws in these jurisdictions may not provide you with the same protections as those of your jurisdiction. By using this website you acknowledge that these laws may provide a different standard of protection and you consent to the transfer of your personal data to other jurisdictions, including the U.S.
Children: We do not intentionally collect personal information about website visitors under the age of 13.
Translations: We make versions of this privacy notice available in languages other than English. The English version governs our relationship. The translated version is provided for convenience only and will not be interpreted to modify the English version.