Health equity. It’s a hot topic, in part because Covid-19 made people aware that there is so much disparity between different folks. But how can we do our part to change that and build a better society? One way is by gaining friends who don’t look like you, which can help broaden your understanding of others.
Welcome to this episode of What Unites Us, a podcast about building businesses meant to last. We aim to answer some of the toughest questions about branding, leadership, and success while talking to business trailblazers about their biggest lessons learned.
Today, we welcome Pamela Garmon Johnson. She has been leading at the American Heart Association for 25 years. She shares why she joined the American Heart Association, how it is changing the way it addresses heart disease, how she works with outside teams, and so much more.
In this episode, you will learn:
- Why the American Heart Association started in 1924 (3:22)
- Pamela explains what the American Heart Association does (6:39)
- The origin of Pamela’s story (8:43)
- Why Pamela left accounting for the American Heart Association (20:09)
- How the American Heart Association has changed the way it addresses heart disease over the years (26:04)
- Pamela talks about the combination of analytics and creativity and how it helped fuel her growth (30:41)
- How Pamela and her team handle working with other teams (35:30)
- What Pamela wants people to know about solving problems (41:01)
- How the people of the American Heart Association help the mission (43:30)
- What Pamela feels was the turning point in our country when it comes to health equity [she also shares a great tip for building a better society!] (48:55)
Connect with Pamela Garmon Johnson:
Want to learn more about Unite Us? Our newsletter comes out the first Wednesday of every month. It includes our latest happenings, network news, announcements, and ways to get involved with our movement to connect health and social care. Sign up here. Follow our show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and share your thoughts with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright ©UniteUs2023 all rights reserved
All opinions expressed by podcast guests are solely those of the guest and do not reflect the opinions of Unite Us.
About Unite Us
Unite Us is the nation’s leading software company bringing sectors together to improve the health and well-being of communities. We drive the collaboration to identify, deliver, and pay for services that impact whole-person health. Through Unite Us’ national network and software, community-based organizations, government agencies, and healthcare organizations are all connected to better collaborate to meet the needs of the individuals in their communities.